Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Potty training

A few months ago we made the transition to cloth diapers. There were a number of motivations but one of the primary motivations was to make Ethan more aware of his elimination and hopefully prepare him for potty training. We knew we wanted to start early but there wasn't a specific timeline. I have noticed some signs that he is ready of late, he can tell me when he needs his diaper changed, dry diapers, he can hold his stream, etc...

Today Ethan had his 15-18 month Well baby appointment and I discussed potty training with my favorite nurse. She was very encouraging and said if we're ready to give it a go. So while we were getting some items at Walmart we bought a little potty as well. I thought we would just try sitting on it and maybe mimicking would be fun and that would be that. Later today I sat Ethan on it before his bath and encouraged him to urinate in the potty. He sat on it, and was quite pleased with the whole experience, did nothing and then got in the bath. Once his bath was over I asked him if he wanted to sit on the potty again and he said yes so he did.

Ethan urinated in his potty. No. Lie. I'm amazed. We'll see how the process goes but I'm just so proud. And so was he. I don't know how regular of an event this will be but I'm excited nonetheless.

4 comments:

  1. That is great baby!!! Great job! I am so proud of Ethan! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Ethan!!!! Way to Go sweet boy.

    Today he conquers the toilet, and tomorrow he will conquer all of Tennesee!! E.T. Han marches to victory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I let Grace run around diaper-less and she came to me and said, "Wah wah!" As in, "Mama, water magically appeared behind this chair." Does that mean we're ready? Just kidding.

    That's awesome Ethan!! Way to go, man!

    ReplyDelete