Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Jehovah Jirah, my provider.

In these hard economic times for many individuals, Joel and I are so thankful for the provision and job security afforded to us through the Army. That being said, it is inevitable in the current economic climate to be more squarely faced with the responsibility to prepare our household for whatever situation may befall us. Being the household manager around here, and a bit of a money hoarder, I have had that on my brain these last few months. I worry about how much savings we have, how quickly we will be debt free, whether or not we should get a second car, whether or not we will buy a home when we stabilize at a post (if that's even possible) in the next 5-10 years. But I read something wise and comforting today on Kelly's Corner:

Today Jesus is my provider. I went to a little Christian school in 6th grade and in chapel we would sing a song about "Jehovah Jirah - my provider" and I have never gotten that song out of my head. Probably because God always wanted me to remember that he is my provider. He has ALWAYS provided my needs. I will never be rich and I'm more than fine with that - but God has taken care of me. The verse I love and that has been so true for my family is
Malachi 3:10.
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows."


What peace there is in knowing that God will pour out blessing overflowing if I will only trust my family, my finances, my everything in Him. He will meet and exceed our needs if we will only trust. It is foundational and yet a continual process to live that out. So, today, as I head out to the grocery store with my coupons:), I will rest in His provision through every item that feeds our family and every dollar that buys it. I will praise Him for the child we have been given and the means to provide for Him, I will praise Him that we are in a safe, clean and warm house (it's in the 40's today?!). And I will praise Him that Joel has a job that he loves and that it is just enough for our family to live, give back and save for what may come.

Jehovah Jirah, my provider.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great post. I know that there have been economic crises before, but its certainly more frihtening to approach them from the "grown up" side of things. I am thankful to have been raised so sheltered, but its sometimes scary in the real world. This is a great reminder about what being provided for really means.

    ALSO, love your "R" signature.

    ReplyDelete